Right now, there are thousands of people trying to work comfortably from home. The pandemic has reached all corners of the globe and every country is handling things very differently. Some countries have already closed off their lockdowns and let people out once more, but others are still struggling indoors.
Working from home is not easy! If you’re a business leader, you have to try and manage your staff, customers and your suppliers while paying business bills – and that’s not always simple. You need to look into business interruption claims on top of all the other paperwork you have to do to keep up during a crisis. There is enough that you have to do, but you need to work well from home and feel confident while you do it.
- Get Dressed. It’s important that you feel business-like when you are working from home. It gets you in the right headspace and it helps you to prepare you for your day of work. You need to make sure that you look the part even if you don’t go into an office at all.
- Put Boundaries In Place. You can open your phone lines for suppliers and customers, but you need a limit. You may be working from home, but you don’t have to blend your home and work life too much if you don’t want to. If you don’t want to take calls after 5pm, establish those boundaries with customers – you can keep your business hours current, even when you are in the home and not the office.
- Make Sure You Get Out. If you’re not shielding or self-isolating, you need to get out of the house. Even if you have to walk out of the house, go for that walk. Your exercise schedule has to be as current as possible so that you can keep the blood pumping.
- Keep Communicating. Get on the phone to your team every day at some point so that you don’t isolate yourself socially. It;s hard enough as it is to be indoors and working, never mind if you don’t pick up the phone or get into Zoom meetings. Work well from home and catch up with your staff at the same time with a simple phone call.
- Take A Break. You’re working from home and you need to think about how much you’re sitting in front of a screen. Taking regular breaks will help you to stay focused and will keep your head in the business game.
- Check Your Business Insurance. During a pandemic, your business is going to be interrupted, and that’s why you need the right insurance in place to cover your business interruption. You cannot be left behind or risk your business failing when things restart.
You can work well from home during a pandemic when you follow these tips. Customers and suppliers are counting on you to still be around, so make sure that you are keeping up with your business processes at all times.