When you’ve spent time in one place with your business, it can be hard to then move onto new premises. There are many reasons a business needs to be relocated. For some, it’s because they are in need of more space, for others, it’s a chance to work abroad in a new location where the customers are. It doesn’t really matter why you’re moving: the point is, your business needs to be properly relocated so that you don’t lose money and you don’t lose customers.
You have to plan an office move to perfection. Whether you do it yourself or you use a service like Shiply, it’s up to you. You need to do whatever it takes to reduce the cost and the stress of a move, while also avoiding business interruption and loss of revenue. You want this to be a successful relocation, so let’s take a look at some of the things that you need to know to make sure it is!
- Before you do anything, you need to set a timeline. Moving a business to a new location – especially if you go abroad – is a big job. You have a lot of planning to do, and often, you don’t have a lot of time to do it in. Create a timeline and put a budget with it, and this gives you the first goalposts to reach for relocation. Once you know the timeline, you can start talking to moving companies and find business premises in advance, too.
- Speak to your staff well in advance. You want to make sure that you have a good team behind you with the move. People also need to know that they can travel to the new location, and if you keep the lines of communication open, you will have the support you need.
- Get someone leading your move and make sure that it’s someone within your business. You can’t do everything and you need to delegate your tasks and get some help with organising this whole move. If you are relocating abroad, have a team in place ready to continue your business so you have as little interruption as possible.
- When we mentioned informing your staff, it’s a smart idea to get them involved in the process of the move, too. Whether you are planning a big move or a small one, you need to think about this being a process. Get people involved in packing their own desks and continuing the relocation properly at the other end.
- Now is the time to declutter everything you don’t need. There’s no need to bring things that you don’t use to your new office. You can save yourself the money if you have fewer things to ship, too. You may find that you have a lot of things that you don’t need, and this will mean that you spend less on packing, too!
Moving is a huge deal and you need the right plan to make it as successful as possible.